- directory di‧rec‧to‧ry [daɪˈrektri, d-] noun directories PLURALFORM [countable]1. a book or list of names, facts etc, usually arranged in alphabetical order:
• I couldn't find your number in the telephone directory.
• a new business directory2. COMPUTING part of a computer's memory where information is stored, containing one or more file S:
• I suggest you create a separate directory to keep these files in.
* * *directory UK US /dɪˈrektəri/ noun [C] (plural directories)► COMMUNICATIONS, COMMERCE a book that gives a list of names, addresses, or other facts: »
Our idea was to create a local directory with information for new residents.be included/listed in a directory »
Many local businesses are listed in the directory.»
""Which MBA?"" is a directory of more than 100 leading business schools in 16 countries.»
a business/trade directory»
an internet/online directory»
a phone directory► IT an area in a computer's memory where files or programs are stored: »
Organize files and directories so all information is grouped.»
create/delete a directorycopy sth into a directory »
First, copy the files into a new directory.
Financial and business terms. 2012.